Monday, December 31, 2012

Free Motion Challenge: The End of the Beginning

With the end of 2012 comes the end of the yearlong Free Motion Challenge by SewCalGal.  It has been interesting, educational, fun and well, challenging.  I was able to complete 11 of the monthly challenges and one of the bonus tutorials.   Each of the experts has her/his own special approach to FMQ, so I felt as though I had private instruction on free motion quilting in all its variations.

The list of things I learned doing this Challenge would be quite long indeed, but several things stand out:  how to let the sound of the sewing machine help me regulate my speed, how to follow a marked design, how to use different motifs in adjacent areas and most importantly, that frequent practice really makes a difference.

I enjoyed doing all of the challenges and will certainly return to the tutorials to improve and reinforce the skills I learned.  This is not the end of my personal free motion challenge;  it's the end of the beginning.

Thank you to all of the free motion experts who contributed to the challenge and especially to SewCalGal who organized this year-long adventure.  It has been a wonderful experience!

Here's my album of samples, my free motion journey of 2012.



January
February
March
April


May

June

July

August

September

October

November


Bonus #3


 Happy quilting!  Happy New Year!


5 comments:

  1. You've completed some beautiful samples! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work! Isn't it amazing how much we learned this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some great work here - Congratulations on your wonderful finish - and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic job on the challenge Nancy....yours are so very neat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful maybe I need to take a class or two from you to learn how to machine quilt ! love the feathers and the september wreath beautiful
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete