Tuesday, November 15, 2011

There's no business like show business! A quilt show, that is....

I know a promised a post explaining why I think Turkey is a paradise for quilters, but my guild quilt show was this weekend, and I couldn't wait to write about it and show you some pictures of the magnificent quilts in the show. We had lots of visitors oohing and ahing over the quilts. And well they might. The variety of styles and colors was amazing, and the workmanship was certainly impressive. interestingly enough, many of these quilts did not appear at our monthly meeting show-and-tell. A lot of talented quilters are keeping their work under wraps until showtime.

Here are some of my favorites.

Pauline's blue ribbon applique quilt. Believe it or not, all those squares are appliqued! I think they are 1" square. Wonderful.





Miriam captured the colors of the African sunrise in her quilt made with African fabrics. I love the way some of the circles form the edge of the quilt.





Clare used the colors--and the birds-- of the southwest in her quilt. And look at all those triangles!



Susan's quilt with blue and cheddar sparkles with the addition of a dash of pink. Stunning!





Elizabeth used Asian fabrics in her blue ribbon pieced quilt, added an applique border, and then hand quilted it, incorporating Sashiko (look at the lower right.) And look at those wonderful cranes at the top.
Just beautiful!




Only one fabric was used for all the blocks and the border in Diane's four patch posey quilt. I love the colors!



Susan's wonderful applique quilt has it all: great design and color, and exquisite hand applique and quilting. If I had been a judge, this quilt would be wearing a different color ribbon for sure!




Barb's Abe Lincoln quilt is such a wonderful example of a medallion quilt. I think the different sized star borders and the variety of fabrics make this a winner, and the judges thought so, too. I need to practice my photography skills because as you can see, I lopped off the outer border and that important Blue Ribbon!







There are lots more to show you, so I'll save some for another post! I hope these quilts inspired you to get busy and quilt!

2 comments:

  1. I love the African one, as you might imagine I would. But I'm in awe of all of them, the variety of techniques, the design sense, the colors. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great photos of the show - congrats again on your ribbon, I hope you post close ups of your amazing stitching!

    ReplyDelete