Thursday, July 14, 2011

Marking a Century of Love and Laughter


Today, July 15, 2011, is the 100th anniversary of my mother's birth. She died a few months before her 97th birthday, and up until the day she died, she found joy, love and laughter in each day and reflected that joy back to the people she loved.

She grew up in the suburbs of Philadelphia, went to West Chester State Teachers College, and when she was 27, married my dad whom she met in the young peoples' group at church.
My parents had a long and happy marriage, until my father died suddenly in 1980.


My mother was a teacher; yes, she taught in the classroom for many years; but she was my sister's and my first--and lifelong--teacher, too. And she taught her grandchildren nursery rhymes, silly songs, games like "Buckle, Buckle Beanstalk," knitting and sewing, playing with string and card games (even poker!)




My mother loved being with her family, her two brothers and three sisters, and their spouses (the "outlaws.")



And, of course, she especially loved to be with her two daughters and their families. Here we are, minus my BIL Jack, who manned the camera, celebrating her 90th birthday.




By her 95th birthday, she had moved to Florida to live near one of her sisters, so the next major birthday celebration was a surprise party there.
Here she is at the party with my sister, Marce.




My parents were lifelong Phillies fans. When we asked her what she would like to do for her 95th birthday, she said, "Go to a baseball game, of course!" The Phils were not in Florida at the time, so we did the next best thing and went to a Threshers game (a Phillies farm team.) She loved it, especially when her birthday was announced during the seventh inning stretch!
She wore her Phillies T-shirt and visor, too.






A toast to you on your birthday, Mom!



3 comments:

  1. What a lovely tribute to your mum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss her every day and I'm sure she's watching over us, just like she always did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely, lovely tribute!! This is the kind of memoir that should be passed down --you need to print copies of this and give them to your children and grandchildren.

    BTW, my mom, who passed away almost 10 years ago, had the same sweater that your mom is wearing in the last picture. Seeing it here on your blog brought some fond memories flooding back.

    ReplyDelete